Let’s face it, towel-drying long hair can be tiring, and even worse, it can cause tangles. On average, it takes from two to eight hours to air-dry hair. That means that you really have to find an alternative route to dry your hair or you will be late for that important meeting or date. An ionic hair dryer may be the answer.
Ionic Hair Dryer Comparison Table
Standard hair dryers use hot air to speed water evaporation and dry hair. However, they can cause damage, leading to hair that appears dry and frizzy. You might be wondering, are ionic hair dryers better than regular hair dryers? How do they work? And what are the best options?
What Is an Ionic Hair Dryer?
An ionic hair dryer generates millions of negatively charged ions produced when air passes through the heating element. The ions break down the positively charged water molecules on your hair.
As a result, the ionic hair dryers claim to dry hair without removing its moisture. It not only dries hair faster but also leaves your tresses looking smooth and frizz-free. Importantly, there is very little actual research to prove or disprove the claims made by ionic hair dryers, and some people consider it to be a buzzword that brands use to justify a higher price. On the other hand, some salons and beauty experts swear by them.
Benefits of Using an Ionic Hair Dryer
Some of the advantages you might enjoy when using an ionic hair dryer can include:
- Less hair drying time
- Reduced heat damage
- Decreased frizz
- Softer hair
- Lightweight design
- More durable
Our Top Ionic Hair Dryers This Year
Here are our top picks of great ionic hair dryers you will likely find in the current market.
InStyler BLU Turbo ionic hair dryer
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN: At 13.5oz, TURBO’s makes drying and styling your hair comfortable and easy. Experience...
- MORE POWER THAN 2000 WATT DRYERS: Utilizing technology designed by aerospace engineers, TURBO generates more power than...
- FRIZZ FREE HAIR IN HALF THE TIME: Combined with tourmaline ceramic and our high-efficiency ion generator, TURBO delivers...
The InStyler BLU hair dryer combines a powerful DC motor with 2000 watts and jet turbine technology for its fan. That creates a faster airflow to dry hair quickly. In addition, its ultra-lightweight design ensures comfort to the user. This hair dryer lets you choose the level of negative ions for your hair type. It also has two-speed settings and comes with a diffuser and concentrator nozzle.
CONFU Pro hair dryer
- 🎄Advanced Ionic technology leaves your hair shiny healthy and silk smooth,lock in moisture.
- 🎄Professional 1875w AC motor delivering strong consistent airflow to dry even thick wavy hair in 5 minutes without...
- 🎄2 speeds + 3 heat settings and special cool shot button locks style in place.
The CONFU Pro hair dryer consists of an 1875-watt AC motor and advanced Nano ionic technology for shiny hair. It also has two speed and three heat settings for customization of heat. The hair dryer comes with two concentrator nozzles and a diffuser for curly hair.
Bio Ionic 10X Ultralight Speed hair dryer
- Weighs less than 1 pound and dries hair in under 10mins
- Bio Ionic Moisturizing heat helps hair stay hydrated for healthy, frizz-free styles with more shine
- Brushless motor is 50% more powerful than average dryer and uses 75% less energy than an average dryer.Wattage Rating :...
The Bio Ionic 10X hair dryer features 1800 watts with a patented EcoDrive motor. The ionic elements not only dry hair faster but also makes it frizz free. This dryer has three speed and heat settings controlled using a slide switch. It also consists of a Cold Shot button to keep hairstyles intact. The Bio Ionic dryer comes with a concentrator nozzle and a travel tote.
Masterpiece Pro hair dryer
- SALON QUALITY HIGH PERFORMANCE AND FLEXIBILITY, You can experience everyday blowout by using this professional ionic...
- EXCELLENT QUALITY AND LONG LIFE AC MOTOR THAT LASTS, Not just your ordinary hair dryer, our hair dryer is entirely...
- POWERFUL, TIME-SAVING AND LIGHTWEIGHT, Our hair dryer is designed with a strong AC motor that reduces your drying time...
The Masterpiece Pro is a handmade hair dryer that uses 1600 watts. Also, it has two heat and speed settings along with two concentrator nozzles. You can buy the diffuser separately. It provides a velvet dryer bag as an added bonus.
Chic Republic hair dryer
- BEST IONIC CERAMIC HAIR DRYER: CHIC REPUBLIC creates the ultimate hair dryer by using ionic and ceramic technology that...
- CREATED FOR ULTRA SHINE WITHOUT FIRZZ: Designed to ensure your hair looks great even after drying, Chic Republic’s...
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN FOR TRAVEL: Built to go with you, this best rated hairdryer is compact so that it’s easy to pack...
The Chic Republic hair dryer features an 1875-watt motor and weighs less than a pound. It has a temperature indicator light for hot or cool airflow. The dryer also has a safety plug with overheating protection. Besides this, it has four heat and two-speed options. Expect to find two concentrator nozzles to choose from for your hair.
KIPOZI 1875w Nano ionic hair dryer
- Save precious time in the morning or evening by choosing KIPOZI 1875W Hair Dryer with 2 speeds + 3 heat settings and...
- Additional features: 8.2 foot long cord, Alci safety plug and a removable air filter, and it is Etl certified.
- The Packaging contains a concentrator & diffuser. The concentrator is ideal for precision styling that is straight, the...
The KIPOZI hair dryer features a silent motor with 1875 watts for consistent airflow. On top of this, it has two speed and three heat settings along with an eight-foot-long cord. This cord has an ALCI safety plug to ensure safety in case of a short circuit. The hair dryer comes with a concentrator for straight hair and a diffuser for defined waves and curls.
INFINITIPRO by Conair hair dryer
- Ionic Hair Dryer: Featuring ceramic technology plus frizz fighting conditioning ions for less damage and more shine,...
- Superior Function: A Cold Shot button locks hair styles in place and rocker switches make for easy handling; Includes 3...
- Ionic Conditioning: Natural ion output helps fight frizz and bring out your hair’s natural shine; Includes a...
The INFINITIPRO hair dryer has an 1875-watt motor, just like most dryers on this list. It also features two airspeed and three heat settings, plus a cool shot button. The cool shot button comes in handy when you need to reduce heat quickly. It also comes with a diffuser and concentrator nozzle as attachments.
JINRI 1875w Professional hair dryer
- ✔ Professional Salon fast dryer for long and thick hair wihin 3 minutes effectively. The hair dryer with diffuser and...
- ✔ AC motor for this blow dryer, provides enough hot for styling hair, 3x longer life compared DC motor. 2.65M long...
- ✔ Ceramic & Negative ions hair dryer makes hair moister, silky smooth & sunshine. It eliminates frizz, tangle and...
The JINRI hair dryer features an AC motor with 1875 watts. It has two speed and three heat settings to adjust the temperature. The cool shot button offers flexible styling to hold your look. It also comes with three attachments including the concentrator, diffuser, and a hair pick.
Asani Professional hair dryer
- HAIR DRYING IN A SNAP: Unlike other electric hair dryers that take ages to get the job done, ours is fitted with a...
- ENHANCED FRIZZ CONTROL: Keep frustrating frizz at bay with our ionic professional hair dryer. It produces negative ions...
- NO MORE BULK: We’ve kept our portable hair blow dryer light, compact and travel-friendly, so you can easily carry it...
The Asani hair dryer has an 1875-watt motor that dries hair fast. In addition, it has two airspeed and three heat settings to choose the best heat for your hair type. It also features an anti-leakage plug and a removable filter to catch loose hairs. It comes with two concentrator nozzles of different sizes.
Magnifeko 1875w professional hair dryer
- ★ ULTRA POWERFUL -the hair-dryer Featuring 1875 watt, this professional lightweight Blower dryer will dry your hair...
- ★ 2 SPEEDS / 3 TEMPERATURE SETTINGS & 1 COLD COOL AIR POSITION - Our exclusive fast dry hair dryer features two...
- ★ LONG POWER CORD AND EASY CLEANING REMOVABLE FILTER - The Magnifeko premium hairdryer comes with a filter that is...
The Magnifeko hair dryer also has an 1875-watt motor for durability. It has two speed and three heat settings for temperature control. Apart from this, it comes with a removable filter and safety plugs that help prevent electric shocks. This ionic hair dryer has two concentrator nozzles as attachments.
What to Look for When Buying an Ionic Hair Dryer
The numerous advances in hair-drying technology make selecting a hair dryer overwhelming. Understanding what you need in one makes it almost hassle-free, and prevents time-wasting confusion. Here are some qualities you should have on your checklist.
Wattage and design
The amount of watts required by a hair dryer determines motor speed. Therefore, the higher the wattage, the faster the dryer. For home use, choose a hair dryer with 1500 to 2000 watts. Equally important, consider a lightweight design so that your arms do not get tired easily.
Ionic hair dryers are great for frizzy hair because they lock in moisture and close the cuticle to build resistance. They are also ideal for thick hair, long hair, and curly hair. However, they are not suitable for fine hair as it can leave it limp and looking weaker.
Heat and speed settings
A good ionic hair dryer should have flexible temperature and airflow settings. To prevent heat damage, tune to lower speed settings when using a higher temperature. Remember, always to use a heat protector spray before blow drying.
Ionic hair dryers usually come with three main attachments including the concentrator, the diffuser, and a hair pick. While they all come in various shapes and sizes, their functionality is the same.
For instance, concentrators help to focus airflow into a specific area. You should direct the nozzle from the roots to your ends for shiny locks.
On the other hand, diffusers are ideal if your hair is wavy or curly. They help reduce the intensity of airflow for more defined curls.
Lastly, hair picks add volume to hair so if you have short hair, use a shorter pick. Longer spikes work best for longer hair.
How We Reviewed
To give you an insightful product review, we looked at the ratings and reviews done by customers. That provided valuable information on how the hair dryers performed in real life. We also scoured the company websites for product specifications to compare whether prices were worth it.
Which Ionic Hair Dryer Is the Best?
The InStyler BLU ionic hair dryer is definitely the winner on this list. What makes it stand out from the rest is its design and performance. For instance, the jet turbine technology on its fan ensures maximum airflow, and its powerful motor has 2000 watts for a complete salon finish.
On top of this, it is lightweight, so you do not have to worry about taking breaks to give your arms some rest. It also puts different styling preferences into consideration and avails a concentrator nozzle for straight hair-do and a diffuser for defined curls and waves.
Last update on 2021-03-01 at 09:26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API