If you favor a sleek and neat hairdo, you’ll likely be no stranger to a hair straightener. They’re the quickest, easiest, and the most dependable way to make your hair look smooth, shiny, and fabulous. But not all hair straighteners are created equal – and finding the best hair straightener is essential if you rely on yours in your daily hair routine.
Finding out what makes the best hair straightener is key to making sure you make a savvy purchase. Knowing what specifications you need from your hair straightener before you buy, can help you make the best possible choice.
What Qualities Make for the Best Hair Straightener?
There are a few factors you’ll want to consider if you’re trying to find the best hair straightener. Checking these specifications when buying will let you know whether you’re getting a high-quality, well-constructed, and effective hair straightener.
Best Hair Straightener Comparison Table
Which factors should you consider?
The first thing to look at when shopping for the best hair straightener is the temperature. Some hair straighteners only have one set temperature, while others have different heat settings. If your hair is thick, curly, or more unruly, you’ll want to look for the highest possible temperature to effectively straighten your hair.
The material of the plates is another factor to consider when looking for the best hair straightener. Solid ceramic or titanium plates tend to distribute better and hold heat, and plates that are ceramic or titanium “plated” tend to be of lower quality.
The construction of the best hair straightener models will also include plates with smooth edges. That gives them glide-ability and minimizes the potential for hair to get caught or snag.
There are other, extra factors to consider when shopping for the best hair straightener. These include the aesthetic appeal, the ergonomic design of the model (including things like weight), and special features such as a retractable cord or an automatic switch-off. If you travel a lot, you’ll want to consider whether the hair straighteners have universal voltage. Savvy shoppers will also want their hair straighteners to have a good warranty and return policy.
Where to shop for the best hair straightener
Shopping for the best hair straightener couldn’t be easier, as they tend to be quite easy to find in a range of different types of stores. You can buy them from special electrical stores and also from beauty supply stores like Sally’s or even Sephora. On top of this, you can find many hair straighteners at the drugstore or more general stores such as Target.
We’ve selected our range of the best hair straightener models from Amazon. We have a few reasons for this. Firstly, shopping on Amazon is super easy. Anyone can order from Amazon, regardless of location, which makes it very accessible. Amazon also offers handy ratings and reviews, so you can find out whether people like the product. Amazon also offers a vast range of different products, meaning all the options for the best hair straightener models are available in one place. Even if you don’t buy via Amazon, it’s a good place to start looking around.
We selected options for the best hair straightener models from a range of different price points. No matter your budget, there should be an option which will work out well for you. Each option we have reviewed has a verified buying link and price, so figuring out which are the best hair straightener option for you is easy.
How We Reviewed
We based our best hair straightener selection on a range of different factors. We read online reviews from many impartial sources to find the most commonly mentioned best hair straightener options. Based on these compilations, we conducted our research into a selected number of hair straighteners to find out the product specifications and features. We also used customer reviews to understand the true user experience better. Based on all of this information, we aim to bring you the most definitive buying guide for the best hair straightener.
Our Selection of the Best Hair Straighteners
Based on all of our collated information, we’ve selected seven of the best hair straightener options. Within our list, there is an option to suit every hair type and budget. We accompany each of our hair straighteners with a buying link and a rating based on customer reviews to help you make the best choice.
Kipozi Pro Flat Iron
- This straightener will give you that just back from the salon look. The KIPOZI titanium flat iron with advanced ptc...
- The 450 ℉ heat gets hair straight in a snap. With easy to understand temperature heat settings, you can adjust to best...
- Crafted from two titanium plates to deliver heat fast and evenly, reaches temperature up to 450℉ has shine-boosting...
These bargain hair straighteners combine ceramic plates with infrared technology to effectively straighten and minimize frizz.
- Lower price point
- Range of temperature options for different hair types
- Can go up to 450 degrees
- Have 3D floating plates and the rounded edges
- Has LCD to improve ease of use
- Has swivel cord for maximum freedom while styling
- Automatically shuts off after 90 minutes for safety
- Have a worldwide compatible voltage
- Can feel a little bit flimsy
BabylissPRO Porcelain Ceramic Straightening Iron
- The BaBylissPRO Porcelain Ceramic Straightening Iron lets you straighten locks or create loose, beachy waves. Porcelain...
- Porcelain ceramic plates offer even heat distribution without hot spots & negative ions leave locks smooth & shiny.
- Use this porcelain ceramic flat iron to smooth & straighten hair. Can also be used to create loose, beachy waves.
The porcelain ceramic plates on the BabylissPRO Straightening Iron offer instant heat-up, and the extra long plates mean you can work in larger sections for a faster hair styling process.
- Plates heat up instantly
- Distribute heat evenly through the hair
- Has easy-to-use temperature dial
- Can heat up to 450 degrees
- Has longer plate lengths that can straighten hair more quickly
- Some people find the build quality of these straighteners to be a little subpar
- Some draw attention to an unpleasant chemical scent on the plates as they heat up
- Others say the straightener caused more damage to their hair than other comparable models
- Lacks certain extra features that other options on the list offer, like international voltage and automatic shut-off
HSI Professional Glider
- STRAIGHTENS, FLIPS & CURLS: The HSI Professional Glider creates dramatic results on even the frizziest coarsest hair; to...
- MICRO SENSORS PREVENT FUTURE HAIR DAMAGE: High quality ceramic plates use 8 HeatBalance micro-sensors to regulate the...
- CERAMIC & CRYSTALS TO CREATE SILKY RESULTS: The Glider's plates are designed with ceramic and tourmaline crystal ion...
A cult-favorite on Amazon is the HSI Professional Glider Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron. It comes at a great price and boasts many excellent features.
- Plates are made of ceramic and tourmaline crystals
- Features quick straightening and a sleeker finish
- Has adjustable temperature control
- Can heat up to 450 degrees
- Can be used to create curls and waves, even on bangs
- Has worldwide compatible voltage
- Has handy swivel cord
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Some people claimed it isn’t as high-quality as its reputation suggests
ghd Gold Professional Two-Inch
- Ceramic heaters and contoured plates
- Professional Finish & includes Protective plate guard
- 185º styling temperature with sleep mode
One of the biggest names which come to mind when thinking of the best hair straightener is ghd. Some credit ghd with bringing hair straighteners to the mass market.
- Lightweight but powerful
- Has extremely smooth ceramic plates
- Can heat up very quickly
- Can be used to create an array of different hairstyles
- Has internationally compatible voltage
- Has automatic shut-off feature
- Does not have a temperature dial
- Heats up to 365 degrees but doesn’t have a range of heating options
HAI Classic Convertible Professional Flat Iron
- PROTECT YOUR STRANDS - Because of our fully Adjustable Temperature and Precision 1.25 inch Plates, you'll experience...
- TESTED RELIABILITY - After 20 years on the market, the Classic Convertable has stood the test of time. Reliable and...
- PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE - Our Advanced Heat Technology provides rapid heat up, instant recovery and even distribution...
The HAI Classic is designed to straighten hair fully with one pass. Thanks to temperature controls and extremely smooth plates, it can style hair while minimizing potential damage.
- Can create a range of different hairstyles
- Has adjustable heat settings up to 410 degrees
- Heats up very quickly
- Has floating ceramic plates allow for a smooth glide and minimize snagging
- Doesn’t heat up as high as other options on our list
- Some reviews said that the straightener is less durable than other options
Cloud Nine Original Iron
- everything you need to make the most of your style
- Suitable for all hair types, they use state-of-the-art temperature control technology, allowing you to create lots of...
A more luxurious option for the best hair straightener comes from Cloud Nine. It offers instant temperature control, silky plates, and a 360-degree swivel cord for maximum freedom while styling.
- Has one-touch temperature control offering a maximum control of temperature
- Has stylish black plates infused with a patented ingredient to help add shine and sparkle to hair
- Has a slightly lower maximum temperature so it can’t ever truly fry hair
- High price tag
What Is the Best Hair Straightener?
Based on all the information we’ve collected, plus taking into consideration customer reviews and price, we are happy to give the title of best hair straightener to the HSI Professional Glider. We think it’s the best value for money, and offers exceptionally high-quality hair straightening and extra features, especially when you factor in the more affordable price. Nonetheless, if any of the items on our list appeal to you more, we think any of these hair straighteners are worth a purchase.
Do you agree with our list? What do you think is the best hair straightener? Let us know in the comments below!